Hello, Vendors, Artists, Crafters, Food Artisans, and Friends of the Market!
Preview SAT OCT 28, 2017
Welcome Artists and Crafters. We’re delighted to host you for the 2017 Handmade Holidays Preview event at the Collingswood Farmers’ Market.
Whether you’re a Market veteran or a Market rookie, these instructions will help insure a smooth arrival and setup during what can be a hectic hour. You’ll be moving into a Market that is already well established, joining dozens of vendors with their own customary locations, setup procedures, and traffic patterns. Do not assume that you can arrive when you like and drive into the Market to set up. Take it easy, stay aware, and remember you are a guest.
THE WEEK BEFORE. Study your location
- Further down this post you will find the site plan for SAT OCT 28.
- Study the for your location and any other information about how to approach the Market, set up, and exit.
- The first farm vendors arrive at 6am. You are welcome to arrive with them.
- Arrive no later than 7am. You need to be ready to sell at 8am.
- David will be on site wearing red sweatshirt and/or jacket and a Market cap.
- Find David or text him to let him know you’ve arrived.
- Text, don’t call, (856) 979-6653
If you’re on the “Speedline side” of the Market (spaces 50-89)
- Stop at the west entrance to the Market.
- DO NOT proceed directly to your space and put up a tent.
- David will guide you to your space when the traffic permits.
- You will have at most 15 minutes to unload your gear and remove your vehicle from the Market.
If you’re on the North side of the Market (spaces 1-49)
- DO NOT drive into the Market at all.
- You’ll park briefly alongside the parking meters on the north side to unload.
PARKING YOUR VEHICLE FOR THE DAY.
- Don’t command a valuable parking space that a dozen of your customers can use if you leave it available.
- David will have Vendor Parking Passes for you.
- Park in the Lumberyard Garage for free.
- Saving spaces for shoppers means more of them will visit your tent and table.
BRING THE PLAN. Have the latest plan with you
- This blog is easy to bring on your smartphone.
- The site plan is subject to change.
- The latest version is always live at the blog.
- Don’t be late, but text ahead if you’re going to be late.
- (856) 979-6653.
- If you must call instead of texting, please remember, when I answer, I will be busy with someone who’s on time.
- Remain patient.
Drive the right direction
- Traffic is ONE WAY, west to east.
- The top of the site plan is the entrance.
- Spaces 50-89 wait for David to escort your car.
- Spaces 1-49 do not drive into the Market.
- Spaces 1-49 load from the “parking meter” side of the space
Look for the chalk
- Market space numbers are marked with chalk on the pavement.
- Market spaces are parking space dimensions, 10 feet wide by 16 feet deep.
- Under the Speedline, we follow the diagonal parking space lines.
- On the north side, we “square off” the diagonals.
- The Market provides space only.
- Bring your own tables and tents.
- November can be windy; tents require weights for safety.
- Plan your displays so that your products don’t fall or blow away.
- The “drive” down the middle gets very congested.
- At most, you have 15 minutes to unload.
- Stay to the side to permit others to pass.
- Don’t even think about parking your vehicle in your space.
- Get a free Vendor Parking Pass from David.
- If you take a prime parking spot for four hours, customers can’t use it.
Be a good neighbor
- The Market is a wonderful community of vendors who cooperate.
Site Plan for SAT OCT 28
Small Bills and a Bathroom Key
Many of you know, but for those of you who don’t, I carry small bills for vendors who run out of singles during the Market day. For guest vendors who might not be aware, I also have a key to Perkins Art Center, a Market sponsor, the primary benefit of which, for our vendors is INDOOR PLUMBING!
The Market is not a permanent structure with a street address. It’s a section of pavement between Haddon Avenue and the High-Speed PATCO train to Philadelphia known as the Speedline. It sets up Saturday mornings from the first of May until the Saturday before Thanksgiving, from 8am until noon, and by 2pm the only way to identify the location is by the sponsor banners flying from the utility poles.
Using Google Maps?
For mapping purposes, use 713 North Atlantic Avenue, Collingswood as an address. That’s actually the Collingswood Police Station, but it’s the closest named building.
The market is located in Collingswood’s flourishing downtown business district, situated only 10 minutes from Center City Philadelphia by car and by PATCO Hi-Speedline.
The Towers. Once you get close, the Market can be found easily by looking up—for 2 water towers. The Market occupies the parking lot near the base of the two blue water towers in the center of town.
- If you enter town on Haddon Avenue, turn right onto Collings Avenue at the traffic light in the middle of town, then left into the entrance to the Community Center just before you reach the Speedline.
- If you enter town on Collings Avenue, make a right turn into the entrance to the Community Center, just after coming under the Speedline.
- If you enter town on PATCO, exit the turnstiles and head left, which is west, in the direction of Philadelphia. Walk along the PATCO tracks for about a block and a half and you will see the Market.
From the Ben Franklin Bridge
You will take Admiral Wilson Blvd. (30/676) to 30/130 south (the PUB is a landmark at the ramp)
Go thru the light at the Cooper River Golf driving range, past cemetery, and keep an eye to your right for a Dunkin Donuts.
Make the right at the Dunkin Donuts corner onto Haddon Ave, BUT keep right to jughandle around UNDER 130 and up onto Haddon Ave into Collingswood. (There is a sign “Welcome to Collingswood”)
Drive through first light (Browning Rd. intersection). At second light (Collings Avenue), turn right. You’re practically there.
Turn right onto Collings Avenue and turn left into the Community Center (past the fire hall). Stay to the right and follow the traffic or park immediately.
Look up. You’ll see two blue water towers. The Market is in the same lot.
This should be about 7 minutes drive from Ben Franklin in Saturday morning traffic.
- PATCO Collingswood Station parking along Atlantic Ave. extends right up to the Irvin Avenue entrance of the Market and is ample and free.
- Free street parking along the Market section of Atlantic Avenue and neighboring streets.
- Free parking in lots just north of the Market both west and east of the Police station.
- Kiosk and meter parking along Haddon Avenue.
- Kiosk parking in the Lumberyard Garage on Collings Avenue across from the Community Center.
VENDOR PARKING PERMITS
It’s good business to save the best parking spaces for SHOPPERS! Most visitors will tell you it’s tough to find parking at the Market. We make things worse by parking our own vehicles in spaces that could be used and re-used many times by shoppers. Please encourage your table crew to park for free in the Lumberyard Parking Garage (just across Collings Avenue from the west entrance). There are plenty of spaces inside, and the walk back to the Market takes 3 minutes.
Flexible Site Plan
Changes will continue to occur throughout the season as vendors come and go and as we learn more about how neighbors interact. I remind you no spaces are ever guaranteed and require your cooperation if I have to move your location any given week.
David Hodges, Market Director
Home Office (856) 854-8385
Market Day Cell Phone (856) 979-6653